Summer is coming to an end, school is back in session, the cool air and changing leaves are upon us. You know what that means! It’s FOOTBALL SEASON!
You’ve lined up your fantasy leagues, you’ve figured out who will be going all the way to Super Bowl, and of course we all know tailgating can be a great time. But those pre-game tailgate parties will often increase the risk of post-game drunk driving accidents. Are you prepared?
It doesn’t matter where you watch your favorite team; it could be at your house, a friend’s house, a bar, or at the game itself. The highest increase in DWI arrests during any part of the year happens during football season. So what are a few things you can do to prepare for a fun yet safe football season?
Here a few tips to make sure you get to see your favorite team in a safe way come game day.
- Maybe you’re just having a few friends over to watch the game. Be sure to have plenty of non alcoholic drinks available to your friends. If you think they’ve had too much to drink. Have them PASS their keys to you.
- Tailgating is not just about football, it’s also about bringing out those BBQ’s. Eating helps slow the absorption of alcohol, and while food won’t keep you from getting drunk it will help to pace yourself. Be sure no one takes a PASS on having that burger you just grilled up.
- Although authorities are usually pretty generous in the spirit of the game, they are still watching all those tailgaters, make sure no one gets out of hand at your tailgating party. If you see one of your friends having too much to drink, have them PASS the keys.
- Choose to PASS on that last call for alcohol at the game. You don’t have to be drunk to enjoy the game; you may actually like remembering when your favorite player scored that winning touchdown.
- Choose a designated driver before heading out, program your local taxi company into your phone, or have your StearClear or UBER ride scheduled and PASS your keys to them.
Always remember, even though football is just a game. Local authorities don’t see drinking and driving that way. In fact, they prepare for these events with DUI checkpoints. If you get pulled over after a game, make sure you know your rights, you don’t have to answer any questions and you have the right to contact an attorney.
The exclusive purpose of this article is educational and it is not intended as either legal advice or a general solution to any specific legal problem. Corporate offices for Nave DWI Defense Attorneys are located at 432 N. Franklin Street, Suite 80, Syracuse, NY 13204; Telephone No.: 1-866-792-7800. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Attorney Advertising.