Drug and/or alcohol rehabilitation and treatment centers can help drug and alcohol abusers shed their habits. A huge step in the successful treatment of addiction, these centers offer multiple avenues for treatment.
From voluntary flexible after work programs to overnight workshops and hospital inpatient programs to residential treatment centers, help is available to serve the patient’s specific needs.
A great place to start a search for help is through the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration of the US Department of Health and Human Services. Their reliable locator lists a wide range of more than 11,000 varying addiction treatment programs across the United States.
There are two different kinds of drug and alcohol substance abuse treatment options. They include:
Outpatient recovery programs – Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Narcotics Anonymous (NA), or other similar 12-Step Approach centers or support groups, along with many online sources, provide a unique angle on the recovery process that relies on a set of principles geared towards abstinence. Some of these options use shared experiences of support group members or hold sessions to discuss individual progress towards goals.
- These programs offer a great amount of flexibility and may not be stringent enough for those requiring medical intervention, or for those who have a lesser degree of self-motivation.
- Outpatient treatment is not recommended for those without a willingness and ability to regularly attend sessions, nor for those who lack the ability to abstain from all mood-altering substances for longer periods of time (between sessions and assistance).
Inpatient recovery programs – although all rehab is voluntary, inpatient recovery programs may be the best bet for someone who is not as eager to receive treatment.
- Inpatient recovery centers vary by degree and type. Programs include freestanding rehabilitation centers, hospital units, detoxification units, long-term residential programs, and therapeutic communities.
Below is a small sampling of renowned centers or rehab facilities.
- Betty Ford Center – located in Rancho Mirage, CA, their mission is to provide effective alcohol and other drug dependency treatment services, including programs of education and research to help women, men and families begin the process of recovery.
- MCCA Sobering Center – located in Danbury, CT, this unique center, run by the Midwestern Connecticut Council on Alcoholism (MCCA), targets homeless public intoxicants for intervention and uses their facilities and staff to get them off the streets permanently. The center provides a “low-tech, low-cost” alternative to the ineffective use of emergency rooms in hospitals for the same purpose.
- Paradise Recovery – located in Honolulu, Hawaii. This high-end, private addiction treatment, rehab and health rejuvenation program centers on recovery in one of the world’s most desirable locations.
- Promises Malibu Treatment Center – located in Malibu, California. This rehab center was made most famous by two of its former clients: Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan.
- Wonderland Center – located in West Hollywood, California. Another high-end addiction recovery center, the Wonderland Center treats shopping addiction, alcohol addiction, and everything in between. The luxurious facilities provide patients, like former guest Lindsey Lohan, with pools, gyms, yoga, and gourmet food.
- Seabrook House – located in rural Bridgetown, NJ. This private inpatient drug rehab and alcoholism treatment center extends over 40 acres of land. One of their approaches includes equine-assisted therapy.
- Keystone Treatment Center – located in Canton, South Dakota. This rehabilitation center offers addiction services for compulsive gambling among a host of other individualized programs.
- Rehabs.com – was created to offer the best information possible, and connect people in need with treatment providers.